Tuesday, October 30, 2012

4 Quilts in 2 Weeks!... Part 2

A week before I had to bang out the Hazelwild quilts I was preparing for a dear friends baby shower. Her theme was Safari Animals (CUTE!)... with sports (NOT SO CUTE!) I figured I'd make a simple quilt with a baby safari animal, minus the sports of course. I decided a giraffe would be fun and began looking for references. While searching I came across some beautiful photos of mother giraffes and their babies... I especially like this one =)


This photo really got me to thinking... My friend had suffered from infertility for many years. She had gone through so much heartache, stress and expense to finally be blessed with a baby of her own. I decided that a simple baby quilt would not be good enough. I wanted to make her something very special that really conveyed how important this moment in her life was... and as is typical I decided this a WEEK before the baby shower! 



I may not have been sewing much in the last 6 months but I was still buying fabric obsessively! It didn't take long for me to find just the right pieces in my massive stash! 


And my new place has a nice big area for me to work in =) ... plus a giant walk in closet, my own little slice of heaven! 






I had a lot of fun with this piece, especially all the little spots! However sewing around all those little bits was not nearly as much fun... 



In the end I was very pleased with the outcome even if I wish I had given myself more time. Doing something special for a friend really made me feel good. And while I don't feel I am healed from the events I have recently been through it does feel great to finally be buried up to my ankles in stabilizer once again! 




No comments:

Post a Comment